The Western Wisconsin Chapter of IAHCSMM presents...
2020 Spring Workshop Education
FRIDAY: (7 CE’s) 6:45-7:30
• Identify common challenges in sterile processing
• Learn how human factors impact medical device reprocessing
• Understand the difference between validation and verification
• Explore what FDA, AAMI, and CDC are doing to address reprocessing issues
• Experience how a team approach to problem solving can institute change and contribute to patient safety
“DAVINCI REPROCESSING & BEYOND”
• Point of Use in the OR/Transportation
• Best practices in decontamination
• Looking into the future of Intuitive: ION and SP systems
“PROCESS IMPROVE YOUR WAY TO BETTER AUDIT SCORES IN STERILE PROCESSING”
• Review the drivers of process improvement initiatives in Sterile Processing
• Explore common opportunities for process improvement in Sterile Processing
• Discuss tools available to build process improvement into department practices
"TRAINING, COMPETENCIES.. OH MY!"
• Identify and differentiate between the use and purpose of each process and document
• Identify steps in the development and organization of the documents
• Identify how these documents integrate into the department’s quality management system
6:45 - 7:30
7:30 - 7:45
8:45 - 9:45
9:45 - 10:00
10:00 - 11:00
11:00 - 1200
Janet Strong RN, BSN, CNOR, CRCST was a surgical nurse for more than 20 years. She has held various positions, including total joint coordinator, ortho trauma coordinator, OR educator, and surgery center manager. During her career Janet gained instrument reprocessing expertise by working in a sterile processing department during on-call evenings and weekends. She learned to clean, decontaminate and package orthopedic instruments for the following day’s surgical schedule. Janet is a member of IAHCSMM, AORN, APIC and SGNA.
Lunch and Vendor Fair
“STEAM STERILIZER TESTING IN CENTRAL STERILE SERVICES”
• Attendees will be able to identify the methods available to CSSD professionals to test steam sterilizers.
• Attendees will be able to determine the best method available methods for testing the steam sterilizers they use.
• Attendees will be able to differentiate between methods for validation testing and routine monitoring of steam sterilizers
“REDEFINING THE SPD-OR RELATIONSHIP”
• Share key findings from the Surgical Solutions focus group meeting at the 2019 national IAHCSMM conference in Anaheim, California.
• Assess and analyze physicians’ level of understanding of SPD at various hospitals and organizations represented in the workshop.
• Design an actionable, realistic, and adaptable framework for a Physician Orientation to SPD, leveraging the expertise and knowledge of workshop participants
“FLEXIBLE ENDOSCOPE REPROCESSING AND COMMON MISTAKES”
• Learners will understand current events causing increased anxiety during flexible scope reprocessing.
• Learners will remember required flexible scope reprocessing steps.
• Learners will identify and analyze common mistakes made during flexible scope reprocessing.
Student Scholarship Awards
Chapter Meeting & Elections
2:00 - 3:00
3:00 - 4:00
5:15 to 5:45
As of January 2018, Alyssa was named the CEO of Surgical Solutions by private equity firm Sterling Partners. Within six months, she was named one of Crain's Chicago's "Notable Women in Health Care" (June 2018), and made the list for a second year in a row in 2019. She was also been named one of the Top 100 Healthcare Leaders by the International Forum on Advancements in Healthcare in 2019.
“A WINNING APPROACH TO PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIPS - SERVICE AGREEMENTS, SCRIPTING, AND ROUNDING”
• Plan, budget and submit capital request documentation
• Identify and plan all construction required for execution
• Share and explain the role and impact on the CSSD team during phased construction
• IAHCSMM’s roll in the modern sterilization world.
• How are IAHCSMM’s membership and certification departments different.
• New Strategic Plan and how it will impact you and our profession
• Describe what AAMI does and how the Standards Process works.
• How are standards written and maintained.
“THE THRESHOLD BETWEEN SUCCESS AND FAILURE”
• Learn what different regulatory agencies are looking for when they visit your hospital and SPD
• Understanding approaches to understanding risk and challenges to avoid failure and increase the potential for successful central services operation
• Gain an understanding of how to crosswalk standards and IFUs when they conflict
MAKING YOUR FUTURE“IT’S NOT EASY BEING A PROFESSIONAL”
• Identify and define professional.
• Understand why we need to be professionals in the field of sterilization processes.
• Establish the Certified Technician’s role in the world today as a Professional
Closing remarks & CE certificates
8:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
10:15 - 11:15
Alison Sonstelie, BS, CHL, CRCST. She has held various positions in Supply Chain and Sterile Processing. Both departments have received several awards and accolades during this time, including HPN’s 2014 CS/SPD Department of the Year, the IAHCSMM Confidence Builder Award, and winning Sanford Health’s Process Improvement Symposium in 2016. She is also active in AAMI, IAHCSMM, and AHRMM. She is a member of ST/WG 40 (ST79) and the Vice President of the Prairie Pioneers IAHCSMM Chapter. Alison is also the president of NoCoast Consulting, LLC.
Damien Berg, BA, BS, CRCST is our immediate past president of IAHCSMM. Damien has extensive experience in the sterile processing field from being a combat medic for 21 years, scrub technician, sterile processing technician, lean processing improvement coach and Sterile Processing Manager. He is also listed as an AAMI All-Star, among his many accomplishments.
Sharon Greene-Golden, BA, CRCST, CER, CME, FCS. With more than 30 years of experience in the sterile processing profession, Sharon Greene-Golden knows how to engage, captivate and ignite passion in her audiences. Sharon served as President of IAHCSMM from 2013 - 2015. She also has presented across the world and represented the industry on the TODAY Show segment on “Dirty Surgical Instruments. Sharon received the Award of Honor from IAHCSMM at the 2018 annual meeting.